Chicken and Cashew Nut Stir Fry with boiled Rice
200g (8 oz) chicken breast (skinned and boned), cut into strips
1-2 tsp olive/rapeseed or groundnut oil for stir frying
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 inch fresh ginger grated
1 tsp chilli powder
100g (4 oz) cauliflower florets, no stalks
150g (6 oz) broccoli florets, no stalks
175g (7 oz) water chestnuts, drained and sliced
100g (4 oz) bean sprouts
50g (2 oz) cashew nuts, chopped
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
142ml (1/4 pt) vegetable stock
- Blend the cornflour with a little water then place with the soy sauce, chilli sauce, white wine vinegar, sugar and vegetable stock into a pan. Simmer over a gentle heat, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Heat the oil in a large pan/wok and add the ginger, garlic and chilli powder. Simmer for 30 seconds to flavour the oil.
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower, water chestnuts and cook for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are al dente. Add the beansprouts and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the cooked spicy vegetable mixture from the pan, place in a bowl and cover.
- Add the strips of chicken to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked completely. Add the cashew nuts and mix in thoroughly.
- Add the vegetable mixture and the sauce to the chicken, stir thoroughly and continue to simmer for about 3 minutes until the mixture is heated through.
- Serve with a side salad and boiled rice.
Total Calories : 476
Fat : 10
Protein : 26
Carbohydrates : 75